Fosamax is a medication which belongs to a medicinal class of drugs which are known as a bisphosphonate. This kind of medications is required to change and alter the formation of the bone density as well as prevent any kind of fractures related to the skeletal system of the body.
To be precise, Fosamax is a medication which has a generic name of alendronate, which is also one of its crucial element. However, if you want to buy a pill of Fosamax or alendronate from the pharmaceutical store, you will have to ask for the brand names of alendronate medication which includes some of the most popular medications manufactured by huge pharmaceutical companies such as Fosamax and Binosto.
What is this medication of Fosamax?
Fosamax or alendronate is a type of bisphosphonate medication which is required to treat and cure the symptoms of bone alteration as well as bone fractures in your body. With the help of this medication, you can slow down your rate of loss of bone strength and also reduce your overall bone fracture tendencies.
What are some of the more specialized functions of Fosamax for the men and women?
Well, although the primary use of the medication of Fosamax or alendronate is curing the loss of bone strength and reducing the chances of bone fracture among individuals, yet, it has been seen that there are some more specialized operations of alendronate or Fosamax which are quite different for them in as well as the woman patients.
- Thus, in the case of women, Fosamax is prescribed by most of the gynecologists to treat and cure the symptoms of osteoporosis which is caused by the Menopause among the women who are above 50 years of age.
- These symptoms of osteoporosis are more relevant among women who tend to consume steroid medications to treat some of the withdrawal symptoms which occur after the initiation of menopause.
- On similar grounds, Fosamax or alendronate is also required to enhance the overall bone mass density in the men who are suffering from the symptoms of osteoporosis. Apart from this, it is also seen that Fosamax or alendronate has successfully treated and cured most of the symptoms of Paget’s disease among both men as well as women.
What are some of the most crucial information which a patient should have before initiating a treatment regimen of Fosamax or alendronate?
It has always been recommended by various physicians and doctors that a patient should have sufficient knowledge about whatever kind of medication he or she is about to consume.
Hence, on similar grounds, it is important that you know about most of the common side effects and medical complications which might arise if the medicine is not used according to the prescription of the doctor. This is because if you don’t have a proper idea about the symptoms of the side effects or any other kind of special instructions related to the medication, then you might suffer from numerous complications which might arise due to the abusive and irregular use of the drug.
Although most of the instructions and specialized cautions are mentioned on the medication label, yet it is important that you do your research and ask your pharmacist or doctor before initiating a treatment procedure to stay safe from any kind of mishaps.
Thus, keeping peace specific points into consideration, the following are some of the crucial instructions which are related to Fosamax or alendronate which a patient should have before initiating a treatment procedure with Fosamax:
- It has been prescribed by most of the doctors and physicians that if you face from symptoms related to the oesophagus or extreme low quantity of calcium in your blood, then it is advisable that you should not consume any medication containing alendronate.
- Apart from this, it is also recommended by most of the medicinal personnel that if you have any tendency of dizziness or inability to sit upright straight after consuming the medication of Fosamax or alendronate, you should discontinue the consumption of the medication promptly, with immediate effect.
- It is recommended that you should inform your doctor if you face any symptoms related to chest pain, cardiac diseases or some discomfort while swallowing food items. If you face any of the above-mentioned scenarios, you should stop the consumption of Fosamax or alendronate and consult with your doctor right away.
- Last but not the least, you should look for any kind of symptoms related to muscle seizure, numbness or tingling sensation around your feet, hands and mouth, abnormal pain in the joints, bones as well as sudden hip pain.
It has been seen that osteonecrosis has become one of the most common side effects which are caused due to the presence of Fosamax in your metabolism. The symptoms of osteonecrosis include the following:
- Severe numbness and pain in the Jaws
- Extremely reddish or swollen gum muscles
- Typical looseness in the teeth
- The extremely slow rate of heal up process after any dental surgery
Thus, it has been normally observed that if you keep on using Fosamax for a longer duration of time, the probability of you suffering from symptoms of osteonecrosis also increases manifold.
However, it has been seen that if you have ever faced any symptoms related to cancer diseases or if you have ever been exposed to chemotherapy, the chances of you getting affected by osteonecrosis of dental bones might increase by numerous times.
Apart from this, other crucial risk factors regarding the use of Fosamax include severe clotting of blood, extremely low level of blood cells, which is also known as anemia as well as numerous dental issues.
Can you alter the dose of Fosamax according to your requirement?
It is very important that you understand that every dosage of your medication has been carefully planned and specified by your physician and doctor depending upon your specific symptoms and illnesses.
Hence, it has been advised by most of the doctors and physicians from all around the world that a patient should never change or alter the dose of his medication without acquiring prior permission from his or her physician.
Fosamax: Uses, How Taken & Side Effects
An effective drug, Fosamax is used for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis and steroid-induced osteoporosis.
Fosamax treats postmenopausal osteoporosis and steroid-induced osteoporosis.
The drug is also used to treat Pagets disease.
Fosamax drug should be taken as per the doctor’s direction. It is advised not to take larger doses of the medicine and not to take the drug for longer periods, unless advised by the doctor.
The normal dosage is either one tablet each day or once each week. The drug should be taken in the morning, at least half and hour before eating or drinking or taking any other medicine. The tablet should only be swallowed whole and not crushed, broken or chewed as it has to enter the body slowly. If Fosamax tablet is taken once a week, the drug has to be taken on the same day each week.
Once you have taken the drug, you should not lie down or recline for the next half hour.
If Fosamax tablets are taken once a day and if a dose is missed, the drug should not be taken later in the day. Skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosage from the next morning.
If you are prescribed Fosamax once a week and if you forget to take the drug on the prescribed day, you can take the drug the next day early in the morning. After this you can continue with your regular dosage.
If you feel you have taken an overdose of Fosamax, drink a glass of water and seek immediate medical help. Nausea, stomach pain, heartburn, diarrhea, numbness, muscle cramps, seizure and unusual thoughts or behavior are some o the symptoms of Fosamax.
Before the doctor prescribes Fosamx tablet, you have to discuss with him about all your health history. Inform the physician if you have any problems of the heart, kidney, liver or have hypocalcemia (low blood calcium), vitamin D deficiency and ulcer in stomach. If you are having any of these problems, your doctor may not prescribe the drug or may go for dosage adjustment.
Some drugs are known to interact with Fosamax and so it is better to tell your doctor about all the medications that you are taking. Drugs containing calcium, vitamins or antacids should only be taken at least half an hour after taking Fosamax.
The drug is rated FDA pregnancy category C, which means that it can cause harm to the unborn and the new born babe. Pregnant women and breast feeding women should avoid the drug.
As like all drugs, Fosamax also comes with many side effects. When taking Foasamx, some persons can come across allergic reactions like hives, swelling (face, lips, tongue, throat) and difficult breathing.
Chest pain; pain under the ribs, joints, muscles; pain when swallowing; pain in the back; heartburn and swelling are some of the serious side effects that are seen with Fosamx.
If this happens, Fosamax should be stopped and the doctor should be consulted immediately.